Friday, July 20, 2007

Amadeus

It is unfortunate that the greatest classical music composer lived only 35 years in this world from 1756 - 1791. Each of us have heard his music in some form or the other even after more than 200 years. His music has stood the test of time, which is the greatest reward for any composer. The interesting thing is that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart knew that he was the best!

I recently saw the 1984 motion picture Amadeus once again after many years. I loved it as much as I had before. The performances are very good, especially, of the guy who plays Antonio Salieri. Salieri was the biggest competitor, or rather, the chief court composer for the King of Austria before Mozart stepped in. His appreciation and jealousy for Mozart's music has been shows very well.

One thing that I liked about the Mozart's character as shown in the movie is the lack of modesty and abundance of self confidence. The scene where is improvises on Salieri's welcome composition is just fantastic.

Even if you are not a lover of classical symphony orchestra, this is a great movie to watch.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~nm said...

Will try and watch this movie for sure.

1:11 AM EDT  
Blogger MG said...

I am happy that i finally sat down to see this movie that you recommended to me nearly 3 years ago. The beauty of this movie is in no way any less than the beautiful music Mozart created in those 35 long years... Salieri has become the tool with which the director has played on screen the complex social web that led to Mozart's demise. These most revealing last few dialogues still give me shivers -


Salieri: Your... merciful God. He destroyed His own beloved, rather than let a mediocrity share in the smallest part of His glory.

Salieri: I will speak for you, Father. I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint.

Salieri: Mediocrities everywhere... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you all.



Of all people You, i am sure, will definitely understand the true meaning of these lines. Genius was never understood by the mediocre, who retorted by always trying to curb the genius. Very aptly, the last scene in the movie drives home this point which when understood would be treasured for its true meaning... & thus the shivers :-)

To understand a genius one must rise above one's inferiorities. I pity those who never understood that and would never truly uncover their own mediocrity in this lifetime...

6:38 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home