Thursday, February 07, 2008

Hybrid/Green Cars in India

I am not sure if it was the Indian government or Times of India that got inspired by my previous posts about hybrid cars, but according to a TOI report the government is considering incentives for ‘green’ cars in India.

ok ok … I know that my blog post has nothing to do with their decision, but the underlying thought is the same … a cleaner environment.

I have been reading about Honda and Toyota planning to launch their hybrid vehicles in India since the Delhi Nano Show. The bad news, however, is that the price of a Hybrid Honda Civic is expected to be Rs. 20 lakhs (compared to a regular version at Rs. 12 lakhs), thanks to a 100% customs duty. Seeing a similar situation Toyota is still waiting on a decision to launch their most successful hybrid car till date, the Prius, in India.

I do support the customs duty on imported cars because it protects the Indian car industry and also encourages foreign car producers to set up manufacturing plants in India. I am, however, supportive of a reduction/exemption of customs duty for hybrid/green vehicles; and to address the concerns of protecting our own car industry, this reduction/exemption can be phased out over the next 5 to 10 years. This would encourage the car manufacturers to transfer and develop this technology in India.

I am glad that the Indian government is at least thinking about it and taking a progressive step towards preserving clean air, whatever little of it is left! I hope that my eyes open to find hybrid/greener versions of Marutis and Tatas running across the country.

1 Comments:

Blogger Swati said...

Congratulations on your new car !!!

11:34 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home